Shale Training & Education Center (ShaleTEC) is a collaboration between Pennsylvania College of Technology and Penn State Extension established to serve as a national and international resource for workforce, training, educational, and research needs of the community and energy industry.
ShaleNET is a ready to work program funded in part by the US Department of Labor that offers five three-week courses of study leading to careers in energy, general industry, construction, and manufacturing. Courses include Roustabout (15 and 21 day), Completion Technician, Floor Hand, and Welder’s Helper.
- Instructors with extensive oilfield and safety experience who are able to engage students with first-hand knowledge of the subject matter
- Actual oilfield equipment used as instructional aides to enhance the learning experience
- Access to Penn College’s state-of the-industry labs including welding, industrial maintenance, well site production, electronics and instrumentation, and a several hundred acre site for heavy equipment operations
- Access to the wide spectrum of resources from the Pennsylvania State University for fact-based research and outreach that include:
- landowner and community relations; environmental and regulatory analysis; small business development; international shale initiatives; and economic analysis
- ongoing workforce assessments used by industry, government, and academic entities as they impact evolving public policy associated with shale energy in regional, national, and global dialogue
- world-renowned faculty who are redefining the science-based frontier of understanding on technical and societal issues related to shale development
- Energy Technology Education Center (ETEC): a 5 acre, $1.3 M asset comprised of numerous pieces of oil-related equipment including wellheads, gas processing units, hydraulic fracturing storage tanks, natural gas liquids storage tanks, a house meter, a drilling rig trainer, and hazardous material spill response props
- Only site in central Pennsylvania (ETEC) with genuine oilfield equipment plumbed for live-fire emergency response training
- ShaleTEC is an Educational Training Agency for the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy
- Industry recognized certifications are awarded to ShaleNET graduates. These include PEC Safeland, Medic First Aid/CPR and AED, NSC Defensive Driving, JLG Safe Operations for Aerial Work Platform and Rough Terrain Forklift, and Crosby Rigging
The unique combination of applied training and research provides the community and energy industry with a comprehensive array of products and services to improve the safety and wellbeing of employees, the environment, and the community. Employers who hire graduates of ShaleNET are onboarding employees who are familiar with what it takes to be successful in entry-level careers and are eager to work. Coupling classroom with hands-on instruction reinforces the relevance of the subject matter to participants and ensures better retention of content. This results in a safer and more efficient workforce, along with a community of stakeholders better informed on the complexity associated with shale energy development.
Upcoming Courses & Training
- PEC Basic-SafeGulf/SafeLand Orientation (10/23/2020)
Natural Gas News
Get Noticed by Gas Industry Employers
Chevron Continues Support for Penn College
Ten More Complete ShaleNET Roustabout Training
Chevron Continues Support for Penn College Education, Training
Short-Term Roustabout Training Scheduled at Penn College